This is the first sculpt done, translating the 2D design directly (without the fur), with the waist area adjusted to ensure the hip (legs connecting to the body) make sense. Introducing Sammy the Sheep!
It's lumpy and the chest area looks too flat but right now it's mostly the overall silhouette of the body and the head/face that worried me. After a quick one-over from Alan, he said that I need to make three further adjustments:
- Defining bone structures for Sammy's head will make it look less generic and shapely.
- The legs now look too much like chicken-legs, the hip area especially. From my projected animation style, Sammy should look more lithe, so his movements could be more dandy and has a more flowing line of action.
- The ears could be adjusted to look more like how actual sheep ears look like.
So this is Sammy 2.0, with all of the points above adjusted. Now I definitely see how the head looks better. For the legs they make him look less bulky overall and I intend to smooth over the bumps in MAYA. For now I think this is good, and will move on to retopology and making the official turnaround page!
Great effort for sculpting out the character. What I noticed is that the limbs might be a bit too long, especially the legs. Because normally sheep doesn't long limbs. However, know Shaun the Sheep has long limbs, but if you notice he has relatively a big head and a small body. So, pay attention to the body ratio. Find the one that suits your character.
ReplyDeleteJames.
Hi Danny!
ReplyDeleteI think you made a good choice in adding detail to his head, and thinning out his limbs. He looks more friendly in comparison to your previous version of Sammy.
In my opinion, I think you should sort of keep the shape of his forehead. I think his poll should protrude more over his head so his eyebrow-looking bits over his eyes aren't so big that he doesn't have this permanent frown. Maybe you could also smooth out his eyebrows so they don't make him so angry looking, but I think it's just me.
I think you have a great character. I hope to see more from you soon.
In the final model I did make his eyebrow ridge less pronounced, so I hope he looks less... severe. As you described.
DeleteThank you for the concern and suggestions, Kenny!