Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Starting ideas for TVC

For the TV Commercial project, I need to do a 30 second commercial advertising a fictional product that my character will interact in ways that will highlight the use of the product.

Personal direction:

I want this TVC to showcase my understanding and skills of creative storytelling, cinematography, and lighting.


Personal parameters of the TVC:
  1. I want the commercial to be memorable, so it needs to have a personable impact i.e. comedic punch, dramatic story, etc. I want my commercial to be funny.
  2. Simple idea and product, but with witty execution. Don't make something too complex or requires a background story to understand, it's a very shallow commercial.
  3. Character design has to be relatable (common enough so it's recognisable by the audience) but doesn't steal the highlight of the product (so colour scheme can't be similar, for example).

Technical considerations:
  • I want the set/backgrounds to be professional looking, look appealing with a colour palette in mind that matches with the story and character. So this needs to be vetted first.
  • Camera angles: I don't want any handheld feeling to it. I don't want to show off my matchmoving skills. So most scenes are either a still shot (tripod), or a simple dolly, pedestal, pan, etc. This will also look more professional.
  • Objectively speaking, there needs to be a reason why I'm using a live-action plate with a stylised animated character, since I'm not allowed to make my own environments for this project. So I want my character to at least have some elements that react to physics realistically... So I most likely will have to incorporate hair sim, some nCloth, and basic active/passive rigid body dynamics. For this reason I need to dedicate time into learning it properly. Also the project has to be streamlined because this will significantly bump up the render time.
  • Use quick cuts so animation will be very snippet-y. I want to keep the workload for animation minimal while still making the whole thing appealing.
  • Research if learning more about ACES is possible to implement without too much hassle. ACES colour profile will help my renders to look much better without having to implement a lot of lighting 'cheats'.
  • Make sure pacing doesn't feel rushed. DO NOT INCLUDE TOO MUCH POINTS. Timing needs to be tight and no frame will be wasted or linger too long.

Some commercial references:

VIGOR -Waffle
Volkswagen Sheep TVC
Champion Dog Chile
POULEHOUSE Eggs




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any comments or feedback if there's any!