Design is not art for art's sake, but for a purpose outside it. A good character design in this case must be one that conveys the story well, is recognisable, and appealing. So considerations are made in this context.
(Click on the images to enlarge!)
The first thing to consider is the character's general silhouette. I've laid out four most basic ones. My considerations for each:
1. Baby - Character will stand out too much, audiences will be stuck on the fact that it's "cute" or "too adorable", which will detract their attention from everything else. It also severely limits the character's movements, so practically it's out.
2. Masculine - It is not a point to make the character pointedly masculine/very top-heavy. The simple fact that the character is a cartoon sheep in our real-life, human world is the punchline already. It's a 30 second commercial, and an average Joe sheep will be simpler and preferable.
3. Feminine - Making the character pointedly feminine in body proportions will have to carry over to how the product is presented, and the target audience is specifically not female-oriented. It is as general as possible.
4. Thin - Generic, average adult sheep body shape that allows the least-complicated movements. Exactly what the TVC needs. Will pose the least amount of problems with frame composition as well.
So I would go with the thin body silhouette.
The next step would be narrowing down features of the sheep.
These are the variations I have– for now. Mostly on where the fluff is gonna be. The final version could be a just one of them, or two or even three features combined!
Next upcoming will be head shape proportions and facial features variations!
While I'm tweaking the details of my sheep design, it is important to decide the general vibe of the colour before fine-tuning the colours even further.
So far, all three look equally appealing to me. Now it's a matter of clarity and creativity.
Black and white colours look too much of a generic cartoon sheep character. Fine features are also hard to see on dark skin. White is too.. white. The contrast/readability may not be enough against some of the environments. Black colours is a bit unusual for a cartoon, TVC sheep.
Suggestions for the design variations and especially the colour choice is much needed and appreciated! Thank you!
References and inspirations:
The real-life inspirations, of course! Besides various breeds of sheep, I also looked at other fluffy companions like alpacas or llamas. There are mainly differences in the face structure, and the ears being sideways or upright. Alpacas and llamas have their signature long necks as well.
Sheep design references:
Shaun the Sheep. Property of Aardman Animations.
(1)
Suggestions for the design variations and especially the colour choice is much needed and appreciated! Thank you!














Hi Danny,
ReplyDeleteI think you should maybe try tinkering with the hues in the colours you have chosen for the 3 sheep you have drawn, maybe paint over them with a multiply layer, a screen layer, etc. You might come up with a nice colour you can work with.
-Kenny
Hi, are you suggesting non-natural colour options for the sheep? If so, then I would definitely try some pastel options or even maybe the fur could have a pattern/criss-cross of different colours as well. Right now I am seeing the character as just a generic, 3D cartoon sheep for a TVC. I fear if the design deviates too much from what's usual, people will focus more on the fact that the sheep's unusual, if there's any backstory to the sheep, which is not the focus of the TVC. I can have more colour options, but all them has to be subtle/pastel colours so the sheep wouldn't be too unusual.
DeleteThank you so much for the input! I will definitely put more colour options in the future, stay tuned!
Yo. Good idea and also good concept and character designs. The character would be really interesting to see in animation form. Btw, I really like the White color scheme for the sheep. Anyways, good luck for the animation project.
ReplyDeleteThis is Fatir by the way.