I don't really mind. The following ideas I had to cook up end up being a lot more interesting, especially after feedback and suggestions.
From Monday's presentation, the hat idea passed the preliminary! So I'll be posting refinement sketches for that idea. Ideas on scenes of showing the hat product is very welcome!
Aside from the products and execution, I am quite attached to a sheep character for any scenario, mainly for three reasons:
- Colour scheme will mostly likely be white/black or white/tan, which will let the product take the spotlight
- I want to display Grooming in my portfolio (Making models that not only use geometry allows me more creative freedom)
- A sheep's body shape won't be too shapely and is very simple to model and skin (which is alright since my focus isn't on modelling/rigging)








Great execution! Very detailed and organised. I like the product All in one hat. Its very interesting!
ReplyDeleteYour ideas is really cool! I like how you analyse about pros & cons, knowing what you are doing and what you need. Keep on your good work!
ReplyDeleteoh and this is Chloe hihi
DeleteHI Malphigus, I have viewed your ideas so far... I have so concern with your hat idea. I believe a All in one hat is not a mainstream product, the production in storyboard will have a give you a headache please be aware of that. Also I believe the ideas of creating a lot of hat with your starting thoughts, not to model too much, are not in the same page. I do like the character as a sheep as a simple character but also I think it's hard show why a sheep need to have a hat and also how to apply the hats.
ReplyDeleteAlthough these are my concern, I think you can create a world with sheep and human living together. Also a normal hat is sheep's only outfit, and the hat faction is to help them get in to different situation. those are my ideas which you export to but I hope you can push more your in terms of how to make it like "a product" being.
this is Brian
DeleteAwesome and creative idar for your All-in-one Hat, also for your cute furry sheep character. However, waht I can tell in terms of animating is that it might have quite a lots of intersection happen between the hats and the character's head since your character has the most hair on his head. Futhermore, you have numbers of hats to animate. So I suggest you pay more attention to this issue when you actually do the character design.
ReplyDeletebtw, Here is James
DeleteThis is a thoughtful input. I would need to think about how I'll style his hair later to prevent intersection. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteHi Danny,
ReplyDeleteSince you will be working on the all-in-one hat, I wonder about how you'll animate the transforming hat. Does it morph and change its shape into other different hats? Does it change colour? Maybe it's a mechanical hat, and it's made of panels that fold/overlap with each other. The following is a link to an example of transformable clothing: https://www.marialauraberlinguer.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/abiti-trasformabili-clotilde-moda-donna-maria-laura-berlinguer-stile-italiano-made-in-italy-fatto-in-italia-design-fashion-artigianato-italiano-20.jpg
I feel maybe it would be difficult to indicate that this product is indeed an all-in-one entity, when it's meant to completely alter its shape to become something else.
Even so, I am very certain that you know exactly how you want your product to look. I hope you'd be able to give us a better look of your product and how it functions.
Looking forward to your next post!
Delete-Kenny
Actually, I have gone through your newer posts. Please ignore all I have said above. :c
DeleteEven so, your reply is valuable, no worries! I forgot that the details of my product is clear only in my brain, haha. I will detail more on the transformations later on, but on a general idea, the character will put the product on his head and then it'll become completely white and undergo a morphing process (which I will actually do in 2D, so I will composite the 2D animation on top of the rendered 3D rendered frames). For the first display of the transformation, it'll be longer and more complex, but the next transformations it can be quite short and feels more 'pop!' ish. Because it needs to match exactly with the 3D render, I will have to animate it in 25 fps, which is the only technical challenge I can predict. Overall I'm seeing myself animating around 50-70 frames, and I have tricks up my sleeve on how to make the transformation seamless on the 3D side of things as well.
DeleteConstructive feedback of any kind is always useful, and I like that you linked me to a reference. Thank you so much Kenny!
Hey danny! I don't remember if I posted on your blog but its ok, I can comment again.
ReplyDeleteI really love your sheep design, I especially like the neck fluff one, it give a nice "teardrop" shape to the head. It gives a nice transition from fluff to "skin". Something I don't really understand is why a sheep? Is there a reasons to combine sheep and changing hats?
Also I just though of something that can be funny, when the sheep change hat one of them can be a wolf pelt, like sheep in wolf clothing. Ahahha i don't know it might not work for your concept but its just a thought I wanted to share :^)
I'm doing a sheep mostly because I want to have realistic hair in my 3D portfolio! And also, a sheep's colour will most likely be black and or white, so he will 1) stand out clearly against the environment and 2) the colorful hats pop out more! I'm aware I can do other animals but a sheep sounds the easiest and most practical for my purpose.
DeleteThat's a very clever idea, would think of how I'm gonna implement that! Thank you so much Abel! :D Goodluck on your own project as well!